Re: Miller's FFF musings

The males can be aggressive without the presence of females in the tank.
I'll chime in with Kathy here. Breed non-aggressive algae-loving flagfish
and you'll have a booming business. Most of us like to keep other fish in
our tanks and obviously those fish require feeding, so the flagfish would
have to prefer the taste of algae over those other foods, as well as being
willing to work hard for their meal while tastier bits are being tossed in.

Dwight wrote:

> You STILL don't get it do you?  You had a mature male and female
> together... FFF behavior changes prior to the actual laying of eggs.
> Another thing you seem to overlook.  Your guppy would have been fine w/
FFF

Kathy wrote:

> Like Dwight, I have been promoting the keeping of these fish for
> algae control, to anyone who asks. It would appear that the
> personalities of these fish are highly individual. However, if you find
> a mild pair, they are excellent for algae control in a planted tank.
> Perhaps Dwight could breed for mildness?

Roger reported the experiment in the following post. If anyone is
interested, they can refer to the archives. I remember it caught my
attention, because my tank was inundated with hair algae. This is just a
partial copy-and-paste.

> Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:10:59 -0700 (MST)
>  From: "Roger S. Miller" <rgrmill at rt66_com>
>  Subject: a comparison of two algae-eating fish
>
>  Folks,
>
>  Traffic on the list has been real light lately, so I guess I'll wade in
>  with an unsolicited post.
>
>  A few months ago I rebuilt two 10-gallon tanks that I previously used
>  partly for comparitive experiments.  I posted a letter at that time
>  describing some of my experiences with the two tanks.
>
>  When I rebuilt the tanks I gave them identical equipment and substrates,
>  similar plant densities (but not identical plant species) and similar
>  maintenance. I populated one tank with four American Flag fish
(Jordanella
>  Floridae) ranging in maturity from small juvenile to full adult and one
>  with three female adult swordtails (the venerable Xiphophorus helleri).
>  Both fish eat some types of algae.  The plants used in both tanks carried
>  some algae from the previous setups and it was soon evident that there
>  were considerable differences between the ability (or will) of the fish
>  remove the algae.

<snip>

Dwight wrote:

> THis is an example of the classic pseudo-experiment.  You place absolutely
> no caveats or qualifications on your setup.  Everything about this
> so-called comparison of yours screams overstatement.  Overlooking the fact
> that MANY people have setup new aquaria w/o such extreme results, you
> deliberately omit the plants you supposedly used or any particular details
> of the aquarium that would allow us to judge the substance of your claims.
> What plants did you use in your initial setup?  Rotala wallichii?  How
many
> FFF?

<snip>