KH measurement clarification requested

Can someone please clarify for me the way KH is
measured?  I often see various list members post their
KH as a specific number (i.e. 6 or 7).

I am using a Lamotte Alkalinity test that tests
carbonate hardness CaCO3.  The measurements are in ppm
and are measured on the syringe as 10-20-30-40-50-60
(in tens with ticks for in-between numbers).

I can only guess that we are measuring something
different from each other as the numbers are so
different?  Thanks!