PAM & Profile

The first part of this question is for Dave Gomberg.

Dave,

In the PAM issue where you post Jamie Johnson's
article on the analysis of substrates, was the Profile
you used the old Profile (finer material with grey
matter in it) or the new Profile (which is actually
Turface)?  From the description in the article it
sounds as though the old Profile was analyzed.  If
this is true I take it the Turface valves are what
should be used for the new Profile.

And now the 2nd part:

I am planning on using the Profile Clay Soil
Conditioner in a new tank I am setting up.  I tested
the soil by placing some (about 2 inches) in a cup and
then rinsing it with water (3x).  I then let the water
sit for 24hrs and tested the pH and KH.  Every 24hrs
after that I tested the KH and pH and then rinsed the
Profile 3x with tap water.  Here is my data:

24hrs
Tap water: pH 7.62, KH=4
Profile water: pH 8.1, KH=5

48hrs
Tap water: pH 7.62, KH=4
Profile water: pH 8.02, KH=5

72hrs
Tap water: pH 7.63, KH=4
Profile water: pH 7.62, KH=5

The 96hr (4 day) readings were the same as the 72hr.

I am testing the pH with a Corning Digital pH meter
that is calibrated and the KH with the Tetra kit.

My ? is, why is the pH 8.0 if Profile and Jamie
Johnson state the pH should be 6.2-6.5.

Any info is appreciated,
Lobos