RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #842

Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 23:58:48 -0500
From: "Matt" <marius1 at gate_net>
Subject: Ailing black mollies not responding to body fungus treatment?

Hello, all.

For about a month or so, I have been battling a case of body fungus on my
girlfriend's (next week to be my wife! :) prized black mollies.  I have been
using Marycyn 2 to treat it, but each time, it comes back.  The first time I
treated it, it went away 2 days into the suggested 5 day treatment, but I
dosed them the full 5 days anyway.  In about 10 days, it came back.  I
separated them from the tank (a 25 gallon Eclipse) and placed them in a 5
gallon tank with an air stone and a small filter, and dosed them separately
for another 5 days.  It went away again, but returned.  I recently separated
them, and double-dosed them for 5 days, and I just put them into the tank,
and the fungus is still going strong.  No change at all.  This is rather
distressing, and I think the fungus is now immune to the treatment.  Anyone
have an alternate treatment plan that doesn't use the same active
ingredients as Marycyn?  My girlfriend will not be pleased if her mollies
croak...

T.I.A.
Matt
_____________________________________

Matt-
     I think you may have something in your main tank.  Considering it is a
25 gallon Eclipse, you probably won't want to get a UV sterilizer, which
would definatly be my first choice.  See if you might be able to borrow one
from a friend or something.  This will kill any parasites or such that are
lingering in the tank.  Continue dosing the fish in a seperate tank, but at
the same time, I would do 1 or 2 substantial water changes in the main
tank......depending on the livestock in the tank, maybe even 75%.  Also,
make sure that you change your filter media when doing the water changes.
Also, bump the temperature of the main tank up to about 80 deg F.  Remember
to take it back down to what it normally is before adding the fish back in.
Because these are mollies, I would also increase the salinity of the water.
This may possibly kill the organism, but definately won't kill the mollies,
as these fish can live in saltwater if they are gradually adapted to it.
Can anyone else think of anything?

Ben