N and P dosing...

Thanks Tom,

The information you pointed me to was _very_ helpful.

Things have been out of whack since I had the EOT CO2 failure that killed my
fish, and have been battleing one form of algae ever since. Right no, the
tank is moving into the 'brite-green thread-like algae' phase. Some of this
was due to my stupidity in adding _way_ too much TMG a few weeks ago. Now I
have the Fe down to reasonable levels (slightly pink after 2+ hour test of
Sera) and used LaMotte to test NO3 (which was, litterally, unreadable). PO4
is (Lamotte) at zero.

I figured that if I knew the starting point, I could add known quantities of
KNO3 & K2SO4 (never measureing K, just assuming I get it used up... have a
rough rate at which this is consumed (or, just tell me I'm cheap and to go
buy the damn test kit!)).

Without the data/calculations in the past, I was adding anywhere between 1/4
TSP to 1 TBLS (wow, now I know) of KNO3 per week (although, with the algae
outbreak over the last month, I flat out stopped becaues a little BGA was
getting a foothold and I Myacin'ed it to oblivion).

The only confusing part in the information was the amount of P to add:

Steve's article says:"One-quarter of a 1/10th gram teaspoon per 50 gallons
(total tank size) once or twice per week" which is about as clear as mud.

I have a 1g spoon in my Lamotte Nitrate test kit which is the 1/4 the size
of a pea. I cannot fathom how small a 1/10th gram 'teaspoon' is, and trying
to get a quarter of that would be almost impossible.

Your article is a little clearer states "Steve Dixon adds it by using K2PO4
at the rate of .2ppm or so or about an 1/8 of a gram (about one spoon full
of those NO3 power reagent spoons in test kits) for each 1/4 teaspoon of
KNO3"....

So I added one little 1/16" micro-pebble of PO4 from Lilly Miller's P205
(@45%) "Super-phosphate".

- Jeff