Re: N and P

> Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 19:53:50 -0800
> From: "The Bodin's" <bodin1 at gte_net>
> Subject: Meq/L, Adding Nitrate, phosphate.....
>
> You chemical wizards you,
>
> One thing I have yet to find is a table that says
> to add 5 or 10 ppm of nitrate, I need to add
> X Grams of Potassium Nitrate.
>
> Has anyone ever taken the time to build a table
> based on the S&C paper that says to add:
>
> - - INCREMENTAL 5 ppm of nitrate per 10 gal, add
> x grams of KNO3 (which also adds X ppm of K),
>
> - - INCREMENTAL .5 (or even .25) ppm of phosphate
> per 10 gal, add x grams of PO4,
>
> - - INCREMENTAL 10 ppm of K per 10 gal, add x grams
> of K2SO4 (and if KNO3 was added, remember to add
> this to the incremental K from the KNO3).
>
> - - INCREMENTAL .5 ppm of %Fe mix per 10 gal, add
> x Grams of the %Fe mix.
>
> Also, we should all remember these are incremental
> value (added to existing tank values)so we don't
> overshoot the mark.
>
> If someone could put this together, and we could
> post it on the krib (or elsewhere convienent and
> please keep it simple, add the math
> as part of the follow-on for those who want to know
> how its done) it would be very useful.
>
> Some of us have not done any chemistry addition since
> high-school (and some of us have never done it).

And you thought you'd never need it after you got out of school eh?:)

There's some good(?) advice on www.sfbaaps.com site under Reference by Steve
Dixon's and my yacking about it.
You can not really just say generally in many cases but just plain need to
test if you wish to keep thing in a narrow range. At least till you get a
good fell for things. Steve and I have a lot of experience testing and
keeping all kinds of things/plants. We therefore can get away with much and
also see signs WHEN we need to test. Most folks that have been at it for
some time are this way. But when using these two nutrients, I strongly urge
testing. Then you'll know exactly how much you need and use.
Your tap may have lots of P therefore you don't need to add any etc.
You need to test first on some things to idea where your at first. Don't
blindly go into this.
Regards,
Tom Barr