Re: Measures

Davis wrote:

> Ok so call me a little slow BUT........what the !$@!
> is meq/l ???????????? this has been used extensivly in
> the thread: "Equilibrium, Ca and Mg levels" is this
> suposed to be mg/l ??????

Such language!

"meq/l" stands for "milliequivalents per liter" and it isn't the same as
mg/l. Meq/l (you'll love this) is a measure of the molar concentration
of ionic charge on an electrolyte in solution.  Now I'm sure that it's
all perfectly clear.

The advantage to using meq/l as a measure of hardness is that it is
actually the value that is measured by the chemical tests.  Other units
(degrees, ppm, grains per gallon, whatever) are derived by converting
from meq/l.  Meq/l are also easy to use (in fact, necessary) in some
kinds of calculations.

The conversion from meq/l to other hardness units is done by the test
kit manufacturers, so the end users of hardness test kits never have to
deal with meq/l.

Roger Miller