Re: Terra Cotta?

Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 11:47:11 +0100
From: "Colin Gorton" <colingorton at wanadoo_es>
Subject: Re: Terra Cotta?
Does it matter what clay was used to make a terra cotta pot? The soils
and clays around here are almost 100% calcium based and I would like to
know if, in the process of cooking, the calciferous content is somehow
locked up. Does anyone know?
C:-)lin

Colin- I don't know about the calcium specifically, but I can tell you (from pottery experience) that terra cotta and most clay planter-type pots are low fire clays.  They are not fired hot enough to vitrify, in other words they are still water-permeable and (I think) reactive to the acids in aquarium water.
Maybe the chem experts can clear this up.
Bill