Plant deficiency?

In my old tank I noticed with the Hygro and some other stem plants that they
would grow really well towards the top and lose the leaves toward the bottom
giving them a funny appearance.  Could this be because they crowded
eachother out from the light (it was pretty dense) and the bottom leaves
just dropped off as a response? Or could it be some deficiency in my water
(I havent been adding any aditional nutrients or c02 to this tank for a long
time.. lots of fish mulm and stuff in it tho).

Cheers
Jon Hammond
Perth, Western Australia