RE: Seeking good phosphate test kit.

> Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:41:30 -0800
> From: Ted Backman <tedb at valvesoftware_com>
> Subject: Seeking good phosphate test kit.
>
> Could someone recommend one?
>
> also, I'd be interested in hearing what people thought about
> the various
> phosphate absorption products (pillows, mats, solutions, etc
> ) that are on
> the market, and wheather they're appropriate for planted tanks or not.

Aquarium Pharm. makes a PO4 kit that is decent.  It was only about $10.
Easy to read scale.  Reads from 0-1mg/L and 1-10mg/L.  Decent for the price.
I'm sure Hach Chemical has a better kit, but it will cost a little more.

I can't recommend an absorption product better than plants.  It's possible
to shift your nutrients so that P is the limiting nutrient, and is
un-readable in test kits.

Mark P.