Re:Dancing with Algae

As Tom Barr reminds us, algae is always with us. Balance is the name
of this dance, not eradication. For a few months I have been using
Flora APM by Aquarium Landscapes; it's a barley straw extract which
pondkeepers may know about. I've been very impressed with its ability
to supress algae outbreaks. Nothing substitutes for proper nutrient
balance, of course, but this is good stuff, especially for newly
set-up tanks. It looks a bit pricey, but it's really not because the
dose you use is small, 1 ml./10 gallons every two weeks. It's
available in three sizes from two list regulars: Robert Paul H. at
Aqua-Botanics and Dwight Chang at Florida Driftwood. And no, neither
offered me a deal.

John Caddy
Self Expressing Earth (SEE) <http://cgee.hamline.edu/see>
Center for Global Environmental Education
Hamline University