Re: Africans and plants

Hi Everyone,
        This is my first post. I've been on the list for about 6 months
now, just reading and learning. I've got a hi-tech planted 65, my first
planted tank, with S.Americans. Our city water is hard and has a PH a
little over 8. I finally succumbed and bought some African shell
dwellers. No more fighting with the water.
        My question: From what I've read so far on this list, and correct
me if I'm wrong, most plants should do just fine in this water. Most of
the African guys don't recommend keeping plants. Could be the fish
behavior or is it they just don't put the effort in that the plants
require, mainly the CO2. I was thinking of a tank with mainly anubias and
the smaller shell dwellers.
Thanks
George Deihs