dh and snails

Hello, I have a tank in which the dh is 3.  The snails in this tank develop
whitish deposits on their shells which then become clear and then the snail
dies.  Is this because of lack of hardness in the water?  I would like to add
some algae eating shrimp if I can ever find them but I am afraid the same
thing would happen to them.  My other tank has a dh of 5 and the snails do
fine.  How low of a dh can snails and shrimp take?  I love apistos and so I
want to keep my water soft.  Also with a dh of 3 my Ph is 7.5 and I have been
unsuccessful at lowering it.  Any ideas what might cause this?  If I were to
lower the Ph of my 15 percent water changes, would that lower the overall ph
slowly enough to keep from shocking my fish?  Thanks, Teresa