Spacing between plants

Hi

I need to ask a question. I searched the archives before asking but I could
not find what I was looking for.

I have numerous plant tanks and yesterday someone asked me how closely they
should be spacing their plants. I was about to answer and realised I don't
have a definite answer. I have never thought about it, I throw stuff in a
tank and it grows. I of course try to aquascape in my own special way but
the question intrigued me.

I suppose the guideline differs from one plant to the next. So if you could
give me some rough guidelines it would be much appreciated. In my mind it
does not make a huge difference as I am an observer with my tanks, if things
don't look good or something is not doing well I make a change.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Regards
Paul