Re: N fixing plants

> From: Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com (Aquatic Plants Digest)
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 03:48:03 -0500 (EST)
> To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
> Subject: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #797
>

> Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:33:15 -0500
> From: Dwight <boukmn at mindspring_com>
> Subject: Nitrogen Fixing Aquatic Plants?
>
> This idea was brought up by a fellow aquarist in a discussion last week.  I
> ask the botonically inclined among us, are there aquatic plants already in
> the hobby that maintain a symbiotic relationship w/ nitrogen fixing bacteria?
>
> I know only of terestrial legumes that maintain root nodules w/ nitrogen
> fixing bacteria.  Don't laugh, but are there such things as aquatic
> legumes?  Or aquatic plants which may not be legumes but harbor the
> N-fixing bacteria none the less?

Azolla. Does it quite well. Often you'll find this plant downstream from
other aquatic plants.
It has a symbiotic relationship with cyano's (I think it's Anaaena) giving
protection and nutrients in exchange for more than enough N. I recall that
azolla can fix more N than about any plant, even more than legumes from what
I've heard. It is used in Rice production is SE Asia as the "green
fertilizer factory". Better than dumping processed fertilizer like we do
here.

Phosphorus can be up taken as well and eliminates the need to add P
directly. You can add P to the water, harvest the Azolla which will store
the P/N and other nutrients/water. Good little plant for farming. Nothing
like solar powered plants:)

Regards,
Tom Barr