Photoperiod survey

I was just wondering how long of a photoperiod
everyone uses.  I myself have my timer set for 12
hours.  Reading the Optimum Aquarium, I see something
about how light is available underwater because the
sun has to be a certain point above the horizon to
penetrate the water.  Is this true?  None of my plants
currently fold up before the lights go off.  I did see
that happen to Rotala wallichii when I had some.
Also, might photoperiod have anything to do with
internode length?

Thanks, Cavan