Re: Last word on needle valves

At 03:48 PM 1/18/01 -0500, you wrote:
>  What kind of hose is this and
>how is it connected?

It is Hagen silicone hose and is pushed over the hose barb outlet from the
regulator.

>  How did it blow off?  Did the threads strip or did the
>hose tear completely?

Neither, it probably expanded slightly under the higher pressure and slid off.

>  And how could this hose blowing off be any worse than
>an end of tank burp without a needle valve?

It is not worse that and end-of-tank, but my tank was not near the end till
the hose popped off.

>I don't understand how this
>situation causes damage to your regulator that wouldn't be caused without a
>needle valve...

The flow rate is higher than the regulator is rated for which puts undue
stress on the rubber diaphragm.

--
NEW Planted Aquaria Magazine:        http://www.wcf.com/pam