My last word on needle valves....

This is a good news/bad news story.

First I should say that as the seller of over 250 CO2 systems, it is my
guess that my system is the most widely used in this country.  And I am
concerned that my customers have a positive experience with it.  This does
require paying attention to end of tank (see
http://www.wcf.com/co2iron/faq.html#dump  ).

I searched and searched for a proper needle valve that could be used in
connection with my high-pressure system for those who wanted a more
belt-and-suspenders approach to end-of-tank management.   And the good news:

I found a terrific valve, the Fabco NV-55 which costs between $15 and
$20.  You buy one from your local Fabco distributor (see
http://www.fabco-air.com/distributors.html    ).  It seems to be quite well
built and to allow you to regulate the flow pretty accurately, even when
the input pressure to the valve is 30 psi.

Now the bad news:

I left the valve in place overnight.   This AM, the hose connecting the
regulator to the Fabco valve had blown off the regulator and dumped the
whole CO2 cylinder.   The bad news of that is that I needed to go get a
refill, and I may have to rebuild my regulator.  The good news is that no
fish were killed (because the dump occurred into the room, not into the
airspace over the tank).

So all in all, I have to say the risks of a needle valve outweigh the
benefits FOR ME.   And I will not use one.   But you may come to a
different conclusion.   If you do and if you are a user of my system, send
an SASE with $.55 in stamps on it to me and I will send you free the
adaptors to connect your NV-55 to the green hose that comes in my system.

Sorry the news isn't better.     Dave

--
NEW Planted Aquaria Magazine:        http://www.wcf.com/pam