Phosphate Shock?

I have no idea what happened!  I have a 45 gallon planted aquarium.  All
fish have been extremely healthy for the past year and a half.  I have
been having a slight problem recently with BGA.  I tested my tank for
phosphate a few days ago and the reading was about 3.0, which I know is
very high.  I ordered Coralife's Phosphate Remover.  Last night I did
about a 30% water change, added about 2/3 - 1 cup of Phosphate Remover
to my Fluval Canister, and added some new plants that I purchased from a
reputable store. (I purchased plants there before.)  I left the plants
in my quarantine tank over night and added them to the tank last night.

I always use Prime to dechlorinate the water being added to the tank.
Did nothing out of the ordinary.  2 other tanks that I cleaned last
night are doing fine.  Today when I came home from work I found 10(!)
dead fish in my 45 gallon tank.  I was absolutely heartbroken.  No
problems for a year and a half. Most of the fish were that old.
Measured the phosphate today and it went from 3.0 to about 0.1.  I know
that is a hefty drop.  I didn't realize fish couldn't handle it.

Would love some insight.

Thanks, Sue