Magnum 350 micron cartridge

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:55:18 -0700 (MST),
"Roger S. Miller" <rgrmill at rt66_com> wrote :

> ... I stuff the media chamber
> (usually used for activated carbon) with polyester filter floss, and it
> actually does a better mechanical filtering job than the micron filter.

Roger - Any idea why this might be the case?  I've used Marineland's
(Magnum) micron filters for a long time, and have had good results,
so far.  Maybe your micron cartridge needs replacing?

I can't imagine how filter floss can do better at mechanical filtration
than a micron cartridge, unless the floss is so packed full of detritus
that it's got a little micron action going on, too.

I prefilter my Magnum's input with a big sponge over the intake, and I
also wrap the micron cartridge itself with a filter floss-like sleeve,
so I can go longer between cleaning the Magnum.

David (B.)
Paris