Re: Cannister filter CO2 reactor

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Jay Reeves wrote:

> I have been using a Magnum 350 cannister filter as a reactor with the
> CO2 bubbling into the intake tube.

Me too, for about 2 months on one tank.

> I have been having problems with a bacteria bloom also.

Not me.  I have other problems with it, though.

> When I mentioned my CO2 / cannister filter reactor to someone at the
> LFS he said he would be concerned about the CO2 inhibiting biological
> bacteria. Like a cylinder dumping and stressing fish?  Can someone tell
> me if this could be a problem?

I would hope that you're not depending on a Magnum 350 as a biological
filter.  If you aren't, then it shouldn't make a difference.  Low pH
(which might happen) can inhibit nitrifying bacteria.  CO2 isn't a
problem, and high O2 from photosynthesis should accelerate nitrification.

Measure the pH of the water return from the filter.  If it's 6.5 or higher
then I don't think you have much to worry about.

> Also, will the beneficial bacteria consume a white cloudiness in the
> water - assumed to be a bacterial bloom?  Seem to also have green algae
> in the water.  Visibilty is extremely poor! However, the plants are
> growing like crazy.

What sort of filter media are you using?  I stuff the media chamber
(usually used for activated carbon) with polyester filter floss, and it
actually does a better mechanical filtering job than the micron filter.

> I would like to get this cleared up soon because plants need pruning and
> I can't see enough to do it.  LFS guy tested a product he thought was
> potassium permangenate (sp.?) .  This did congeal the cloudiness in a
> sample of water, however, he was reluctant to sell it until I have
> exhausted all other possibilities because it would be hard on the
> plants.  75 gallon was set up 12/1/00 - Mollies & Ottos only - no
> feeding.

Potassium permanganate is a toxic, aggressive oxidant.  Stay away from it.
Probably you should just wait a bit longer.  If you get desperate you
might try adding a flocculent (several brands, available from at least
some LFSs).  Take care though.  The flocculent can quickly plug Magnum's
micron filter.  Try the filter-floss thing.

> A while back someone, Tom Barr I think, made a comment about learning
> new things all the time in this hobby, especially about plants.  I had
> been thinking earlier the day that post appeared that perhaps what I am
> going to learn is - what kind of person am I?  Do I have the patience
> and the perseverance?  :-)

Being stubborn and negligent might work too :)

Roger Miller