Re: 5lb. CO2: How long should it last?

>Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 21:04:00 EST
>From: Dgrim62 at cs_com
>
>Assuming you do not have any leaks as you say in the above post, another
>factor could be the amount of gas you are receiving in your refills. One
gas
>supplier I was going to use because they were close to my home told me they
>don't fill their cylinders past 600-700 psi because of the possiblility of
>rupture. This seemed low to me because most of the full tanks I have used
>average 900 psi initially according to my regulators. I can't tell you what
>200-300 psi pressure difference equates to in gas weight, but I'd think it
>was a significant percentage difference in the amount of gas. I would think
>20# tank with initial pressure of 600-700 psi wouldn't last nearly as long
as
>a tank with 900psi initial pressure.

The guys doing the filling must be real lame-brains. They are supposed to
fill the tank by weight, not pressure. If there is ANY liquid CO2 in the
tank, the pressure will be constant - 850 PSI or so depending on temp. Since
the tank will be cold when it is filled, the pressure may read 600-700 PSI
at that point. If they stop when they first see 700 PSI, you won't be
getting much at all. Maybe you should check with them to see just what the
heck they are talking about. It sounds like you went sonewhere else. Good
thing!

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (booth at frii dot com)
The web site for Aquatic Gardeners by Aquatic Gardeners
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/