nuking BGA

have been in the hobby for a long time and have experience in
many aspects of plant keeping.I appreciate you responding
because I did not think I would get a response because I know this
subject has been beat to death on many occasions.

    I have done some research on the internet and I am not just
asking for responses because I am too lazy to look things up but I
wasn't comfortable with any information I found.

     I thought the BGA was from a nutrient imbalance because I was
at one point adding too much iron fertilizer which was causing
another algae problem but that has been corrected by
good(lamotte) test kits.I am not sure of the exact reason why the
BGA started but I thought this 'may' have been a reason.I have only
been in this hobby for a year or so and I learn by mistakes
occasionaly and by trying not to make them a second time.

     I do not want to use chemicals to kill BGA but I thought that
would be the only way to kill it for good without ripping apart the
whole tank. I was under the impression that even if the underlying
causes have been solved that the BGA won't just dissapear on its
own without killing it. I thought it just gets increasingly worse until
it chokes off everything in the tank.

    I use the alkaline buffer to raise the KH of the water but since
this raises PH I use the acid buffer to lower the PH back down to
6.8.I know their are other ways to raise KH but I thought alkaline
buffer was a safe way to do so. I know my tapwater on Long Island
is pretty good(I got reports from the water company) but I am using
RO water because I wanted to present my fish with the best
posssible enviroment possible.

   I am not trying to make my tank unstable but I am frustrated with
the BGA and at one point it got so bad that I thought it was going
to kill off everything. it was getting increasingly worse on a daily
basis and killing it was my only option because of the speed at
which it spreads. Watching all my hard work and effort go rapidly
down the tubes is a very unsettling sight to watch. I was very
hesitant to use potassium permanganate but I felt it was my only
option. I value the opinion of many on this list so if their are better
methods to my madness I will gladly listen. I just want to rid my
tank of BGA for good and get on with the growing plants part. I
don't feel the BGA is going to go away without adding chemicals to
kill it because manualy removing it will always leave slight traces
behind which I feel will cause another explosion shortly down the
road.

<nofill>