Re:Discus and planted tanks

I've never kept Discus, but have often thought of giving it a go.  My
tapwater has pH 7.0 - 7.4 (its been variable lately), KH 6, GH 12.  Most
plants I've tried do well in it.  Other Amazon fish also do well in it,
Angelfish eggs, for example, hatch successfully before the fry are eaten.
Do the discus keepers here think I would be wasting my time to try keeping
Discus in a planted setup without softening the water?  I've no interest in
breeding them.