Re: discus and planted tanks

> Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 12:29:27 -0500
> From: Augie Eppler

> My maintenance routine is the same as all of my other
> tanks...Nothing special is done for their benefit with the
> exception of keeping the temp. at 84º and providing some
> shade...

> They're cichlids after, all and I think that some people are
> just a *tiny* bit too anal when it comes to their care. Works
> for me anyway.

I would have to echo this. Discus *are* shy, even skittish, but by no means
anywhere near as delicate as a lot of the world would have you believe.

I honestly can think of no reason why Discus and Plants can't work as a
viable combination.

Some things to keep in mind, though: temperature tolerances for the plants
and your ability to keep the substrate clean of high protein wastes and
left- overs. Too coarse a gravel will hide too much, obviously. And Discus
like to pick at things on the bottom, literally "blowing" an interesting
tidbit out of its spot for snatching, so too fine a substrate can be blown
around, also.

For the record, *none* of my Discus tanks have ever been without substrate
*and* plants.

> Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 11:41:32 -0800
> From: Thomas Barr <tcbiii at earthlink_net>
> Subject: Re: Discus
>
> > If you specifically wanted to breed them, then yes, a bare
> > tank would probably be best. They're cichlids after, all and
> > I think that some people are just a *tiny* bit too anal when
> > it comes to their care. Works for me anyway.
> >
> Another Amen!
> Regards,
> Tom Barr

Since there are *two* concepts presented within the tagged quote, it's
difficult to discern whether Tom's agreeing with just one or both.

If it's the fact that some people do indeed put the "anal" in analysis
regarding this fish, then I would definitely agree.

But as for bare tanks, even when breeding - well, since this isn't Discus-L,
I won't belabor the point. Other than to say that there are also contrasting
points- of- view along those lines, too...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10 at mindspring_com