Re: Mineral deposits on glass

In a message dated 1/5/2001 00:51:43 Pacific Standard Time,

> > I've got a 55 gallon tank with a broken (missing) center brace.  I made
>  > a
>  > > relacement out of three plys of 1/4" glass and used silicone cement to
>  > glue
>  > > it in place.  The "footprint" on the front and back tank panels was
>  > > 2.5"x3/4".  When I filled the tank; the bond didn't hold.  Should it
>  > > have?  Was the bonding area large enough or could the glass not have
>  > been
>  > > cleaned sufficiently?

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.  Permit me to tell you a way which
has consistently worked for me.  After you clean the glass with acid, rinse
it thoroughly and let it completely dry overnight.  Then clean the contact
surfaces with rubbing alcohol and a clean towel or rag.  It removes the last
vestiges of grease and "stuff" on the glass that prevents the silicone from
adhering.  Next, apply a thick bead of silicone cement (I use Tetra brand
aquarium cement, because I know it's not toxic to fish) to the edges of the
glass to be used for the center brace.  Be generous with the silicone, and
make sure the bead covers and surrounds every possible square millimeter of
contact surface.  Set the center brace in position, making sure there are no
surfaces between and around the center brace ends and the inside of the
aquarium glass where the brace will sit that are not covered with silicone
cement.  Then, get a rubber-padded furniture clamp and gently squeeze the top
of the aquarium from front to back, over the new glass-to-glass joints.
Allow it to set up hard for a couple of days, and then remove the clamp.  The
center brace should be there to stay forever.