Re: Co2 question from a newbie

Catherine;

I think I know what you are referring to. It is a liquid CO2 system. I know
someone who tried this and has received confusing results. I would
appreciate any opinions on exactly what is happening here.

The package instructions say to insert one of the tubes into your aquarium
and wait till the liquid solution becomes clear. When this happens remove it
and wait two weeks before inserting the second tube. Repeat this procedure
till all three tubes have been used. IE, each tube is good for a two week
supply of CO2.

After the first tube was removed, water parameters were tested to compute
CO2 levels from the charts on The Krib. The Alkalinity was measured at 4 dKH
and the pH was at 6.0. This translated to 118 ppm CO2 WOW!!!!!!!! and to top
it off, all her fish are still alive. Her tap water parameters are 2 dKH and
6.6 pH (Proper pH 7.0 is also used in this tank).

She also uses an Aqua Clear power filter that creates surface disturbance
that should have outgassed much of these high levels but they remained
constant.

Does anyone know what is causing these levels? I can't imagine that the 118
ppm is accurate, something must be corrupting the results.

TIA,
Tom Bates