Re: Needle valves in CO2 systems poll & ?

1)Describe your CO2 setup.
    I have a Dave Gomberg system.

2)What valve do you use (company name, part number, etc.)?
Aquarium Landscapes EQNV needle valve that I purchased after reading
postings on this digest.  As far as I am concerned the needle valve is
must for this system and in my application.  The CO2 and lighting wiring
are in a closet behind the aquarium, but accessed from a different room
(10 steps aquarium to closet).   However, without the needle valve I was
running between the closet and the tank trying to get it adjusted.  The
needle valve is mounted on a light weight angle bracket behind the
aquarium so I can adjust it with one hand while watching the flow rate -
this feature alone is worth the price of the valve in my application.
The output pressure on the tank is set at 9psi  with a bubble rate of
about 3 bubbles per 2 seconds.

3)How long have you been using this type of setup?
One month.

4)Have you experienced any problems with this setup?
The needle valve resolved the problem of adjusting the flow rate with
minimal fuss.

5)If you could change something(s) about your current setup, what would
it
be?
The Eheim diffuser!  Even with the needle valve, adjustments are not
immediate due to pressure in the line (I assume).  In order to reduce
flow rate I need to make a small adjustment with the needle valve and
then check it later when the line pressure reduces. Also, while the
diffuser does create very tiny bubbles many of them reach the surface of
the water.  I have moved the diffuser under the intake of the Magnum 350
cannister intake and it makes a big difference.  However, as someone
else pointed out it is not a good solution for maintenance of the
diffuser and it is not visible.  Maybe someone can help me with this one
- how does CO2 into the cannister affect the biological aspect of the
filter?  At any rate, I am planning on ordering a CO2 reactor - possibly
external.  I will post some reactor questions later.

6)What cV flow rates do you use?
I don't know.  AL says the valve has 4 turns of revolution,  maximum
flow equal to a CV of 0.09, and maximum pressure of 125 psi.  What is CV
flow?

BTW    I started running this system closer to 15psi, but blew the hoses
off the valve or regulator several times.  I used some zip ties (the
plastic things that hold bunches of wire together) because I was to lazy
to use silicon.  They held the hose on the valve, regulator, and check
valve just fine.  I reduced the pressure several days later.

Jay Reeves