Re: heating cables

Arrgh! Just when things get interesting, I can't connect to my ISP. Wahh!

Let me catch up...

>Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 14:21:09 -0700
>From: "Chuck Gadd" <cgadd at cfxc_com>

>Bob wrote:
>> These actually circulate warm water through a network of
tubing...Different than other systems I have seen. A bit pricy though.

>I've heard that these don't have enough of a temperature difference to
effectively
>create the subsubstrate currents that are needed for the substrate cables
to help
>plant growth.

A long time reader of APD, Earle Hamilton, has tried hot water systems like
this. He reports he didn't see any differnece with or without substrate
heating. Two possible conclusions: heating cables don't do much (I would
argue against that) or they weren't producing enough heat to generate the
legendary micro-currents.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (booth at frii dot com)
The web site for Aquatic Gardeners by Aquatic Gardeners
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/