Re: Needle valves in CO2 systems poll

Dang it, I finally had to chime in...

20lb CO2 tank.
National Speciality Gases single-stage, dual gauge regulator.
Nupro "S" series needle valve. I don't know the part number, just
has an "S" on the side. My boss at work gave it to me two years
ago. It was part of a GC/MS used to control carrier gas flows. They
didn't need it any more, so I told them I'd take it for my CO2
system at home. Most thought I was growing pot with CO2 and
found it hard to believe I'd be using it for my aquariums. The guy I
bought the CO2 tank from gave me the same strange look. I
assured them it was perfectly legal. Those silly non-aquarists, pot
grows better outdoors!

The high pressure naturally sits at ~900psi (when full ;-)). I keep
the low pressure gauge at ~15psi. 1/8" copper tubing connects the
output Swaglok fitting to the needle valve Swaglok fitting. The
output needle valve fitting is simply connected to 3/8" tygon tubing
via a hoseclamp. The CO2 in injected into my filter box at 1
bubble/2 secs, or ~28-30 per minute. The needle valve in very
sensitive, and by that I mean you can adjust to get about any
number of bubbles you desire. If I close the valve, everything stops
and stays that way, even with the 15psi input. About a quarter turn
gives me my desired rate. I love this needle valve! You can increase
or decrease bubble flow by a bubble or two a minute. I could bump
it up to 32 bpm if I needed to, but 28 gives me 15-20ppm CO2. It's
been running untouched for two years. (Well I do touch it
sometimes, but I don't have to). The tank is still reading ~900psi
after two years. I check it once a week.

****I will NEVER, EVER go back to yeast CO2 bottles. I did my
time and I love the freedom I have now! (plus all the extra sugar)****

Jamie    <"\\\><
Greenwood, SC