Re: heating cable sources

On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 04:51:20PM -0700, George Booth wrote:
> One other option is DIY.

Yes indeed.

>Another APD-ite (who will chime in if he wants)

That would be me.

> recently located and purchased a bulk quantity of Dupla-like low voltage
> cable. He is working on the details as I write.

Ummm, well, not exactly George. After spending literally hours trying
to source "Dupla-like low voltage cable", I came up short. Now I can
find the right gauge, materials, even color - the problem is the
*thickness* and *cost*. You can get the thickness (Dupla cable has
very thick insulation) but it's pricey, or you can go surplus but they
have nothing like what Dupla sells. So in the end I bought surplus
spools of 26g & 30g telflon insulated wire (if you're interested in
this stuff, write me ... I've got *hundreds* of feet of it!)

Our resident APD wire expert (who also will chime in if he wants)
thinks Dupla probably special orders the stuff. A minimum run would
involve many hundreds of feet with the bottom line having 4 digits.

Maybe Dave G. would be interested in setting up a PMDC business? ;-)

(Poor-Man's-Dupla-Cables, for the acronym-ly impaired)

dan
--
Dan Resler                            email: dresler at vcu_edu
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences