Re: heating cable sources

> Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 08:57:06 -0500
> From: "Daphne Freeman" <daphne.freeman at home_com>
> Subject: heating cable sources
>
> Not to restart The Great Heating Cable Debate but....
>
> I am looking for a set to go in a 92 gallon tank.  According to George's
> website and my calculations, I think 100 Watts would be my best bet (150's
> aren't available and maybe 100's would stay on more anyway..).  It appears
> the only options are:
>
> 1. M3 has the non-grounded Azoo's which I view as a non-option (although
> Edward tells me they are expecting a  new line soon that is grounded, I'm
> not sure if they are low-voltage)
>
> 2.  Pet Warehouse has a grounded set (that according to Shawn back in Sept)
> is Aquarium
> landscapes brand but is apparently high voltage, not low.
>
> Since Edward and Shawn both mentioned this at same time on digest, I presume
> that M3's new line is AL?  As usual though, I am probably wrong he, he...
>
> Are they the only ones marketing cables (in the US) anymore?  I want both
> low-voltage and grounded and while I have a lovely, brand new set of Dupla's
> I bought back before they disappeared, they are the wrong size.
>
> Obviously no one would have experience with these cables if they aren't
> available...
>
> Also, does anyone know if the controllers for the cables utilize X-10's?  I
> plan to use an Icecap electronic ballast and want to avoid X-10s.
>
> Thanks, and no I didn't deliberately wait till I saw George and Steve Pushak
> teasing each other again, he, he. :)
>
> Daphne

There is at least one other source of substrate heating  in the US. Check out the HydroLogix site at: http://www.hydrologix.com/index_frame.html

These actually circulate warm water through a network of tubing...Different than other systems I have seen. A bit pricy though.
HTH,
Bob Buettner
In the winter wonderland of NW CT with 14" of nice new snow