Re: phosphate removal poll

>Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 05:08:04 -0800
>From: Amy <amyh at atl_mediaone.net>

>What are everyone's favorite methods of phosphate removal? I've come
>across a number of products in pet catalogs, including pads and resins.
>I'm just wondering what plant people like and what works best.

I add small quantities of high quality "laterite" to the bottom 1/3 of my
gravel. I also use substrate heating coils to generate micro-currents in the
substrate. As water containing phosphate is brought down into the gravel by
the micro-currents, the phosphate is bound to the iron in the laterite. This
removes it from the water column.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (booth at frii dot com)
The web site for Aquatic Gardeners by Aquatic Gardeners
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/