Re: Catching a Fish in a Planted Tank...

For small schooling fish, I just scoop them out when they're eating. That's the
only time they're distracted enough, and so far, is the only way I've been able
to get them. Sometimes this works better if you don't feed them for a day or two
beforehand, they'll be more focused on the food that way. I hold the net a few
inches under the area I usually feed them at. When they calm down about the net,
I throw in some flakes or whatever and pick them out as they eat. Inevitably,
you sometimes get other fish than the one you're after, but it's alot easier to
put them back than it is to get them in the first place.

I wouldn't try this method for every species - it's stressful to them and net
injurys are no fun - some fish can even shred a net to bits (ever try netting a
large clown loach?), but for white clouds or tetras it should be ok. I use brine
shrimp nets because they seem to be more "soft and gentle" than the regular
kind, but that could just be MY perception, I don't know for sure if the fish
feel any difference =). If I'm moving angels or apistos around, I just scoop
them up in a large plastic container so I don't tear their fins or remove any
slime. They all are very trusting and eat out of my hand, so this is easy for me
to do. I've never had to remove algae eaters, I imagine one would have to set up
some sort of fish trap in order to do that. I've heard rumors of fish traps
being sold, but I've never seen any. Then again, I've never really looked for
one =). It's probably cheaper to make one anyhow.

Regards
Heather

--
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat, 'we're all mad here I'm mad. You're