DI water and plants

In a message dated 12/28/00 2:51:37 PM Central Standard Time,

<< DI won't hurt the fish or the plants. Why would you take the
 stuff out of the water and then add the stuff(buffers etc) back
 into the water?  >>

Sorry, I have to add my two cents.  One reason for using DI water in any
aquarium, is because it gives the aquarist a baseline from which to start
their water additives.  It depends on local water conditions but if your
local water source starts out with high phosphates, nitrates, etc, then some
testing and potential manipulation of the water parameters will be needed
depending on how planted the aquarium is, etc.  If your not careful, you can
get wrapped into a chemical roller coaster everytime you make a water change.
 By starting at essentially ground zero it is easier to prepare the refill
water and thus ensure more consistant water quality.  If your local water is
"good" for your particular situation, then DI is not needed but it is
inaccurate to discourage against use of DI water for all circumstances.

Duane