Re: Algae and Tap Water

> Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 18:59:44 -0800 (PST)
> From: Thomas Barr

> I wouldn't listen to Mr. Bonehead at the local fish store.
> Unless you need some crack. Cause he's high.
> Tap water will not cause algae(unless it is almost distilled
> quality-not many places like this), DI will.
>
> Hard water does not cause algae. Super soft water will.

What's this?

Disparaging an unknown with drug- related humor, only to swing all the way
out to the *other* extreme yourself?

The only algae problem I've ever had in super- soft tanks was Cyano. Most of
those tanks are less than 1 dGH, a couple on almost pure RO, and only a few
with peat...

My Lake Tanganyika tanks, whose chemistry is detailed at
http://www.mindspring.com/~nestor10/rift-fE4.htm
are set up with algae growth as the intended outcome. The only algae I'm
actually able to produce in them is the thick, spongy, brown- green "sheet"
algae. *Super* hard, alkaline, and basic as all get- out...

My main tanks (tap) often go "green" when the weather turns cold and the
utility starts adding a phosphate to the water, and it catches me off guard.
Tap water...

Would it not be better to have suggested _testing_ the tap source, perhaps
identifying the reason for the clerk's statement? Maybe too much phosphate,
or nitrates, or _anything_ other than simply "hardness values"? S/he may
have had a valid reason for stating such, but misunderstood, say, the
owner's reasoning behind it.

I have to admit that, for once, you disappoint, Tom...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10 at mindspring_com

BTW - to which post _are_ you referring? "Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #736"
contains a posting by James Purchase, Charles Boehl, Bob (zxcvbob), Pat
Bowerman, John Godbey, and Tom Wood. It covered mainly foreground plants and
CO2 "dumping". I see neither a direct posting *nor* an included quote from
John Guild...