Re: Amano Pearl Grass

I just checked the Amano pubs and he does have a 2-leaf per joint plant
that he calls Micranthemum umbrosum Pg 75 Nature Aquarium World Bk2.  In
that picture, I see two distinct plants; this Micranthemum umbrosum
2-Leaf/joint and Micranthemum micranthemoides typically what I call
babytears 3-4 leaves/joint:
http://www.vectrapoint.com/main/photo/aquascape/Images/ga3-JPEG.html .  I
looked through the entire book and I never found a picture of this plant I
know as Amano Pearlgrass w/ 2-leaves/joint:
http://floridadriftwood.com/amanopearlgrass.jpg

The upshot is I agree that there are at least 3 different plants.  Two
double-leafed plants and one 3-4 leaf per/joint plant.

>>The plant that was offered at the AGA conference and which Amano gave me
when I visited him in Niigata __SHOULD NOT__ be called Hemianthus
micranthemoides. This plant has 2 leaves at each node which alternate in
direction. It also tends to grow in a more informal manner.
>>>http://www.mindspring.com/~aquaristics/Micranthemum-sp-small.jpg

OK! I'll go w/ that.  But then what IS its species name?  Micranthemum sp
what?  I'll go with Micranthemum micranthemoides var. Pearlgrass.

>>>H. micranthemoides also has 3-4 leaves per node and it too is native to
>>>America.  It's leaves are similar in size to the other Hemianthus species
>>aka "pearl grass"). Umbrosum has larger leaves unless the plant is starved
>>>of macronutrients.

If I understand you correctly, H. micranthemoides is therefore yet  ANOTHER
plant w/ 3-4 leaves per node/joint?  Let's see that's:

1.  Hemianthus micranthemoides ................................. 3-4 leaves
per node
(never seen a plant like this as you described it)

2.  Micranthemum umbrosum ....................... 2-LARGE distinctly shaped
      leaves/node. (NAW bk#2 pg 45)

3.  Micranthemum micranthemoides ............ 3-4-Leaves per node
(NAW bk#2 pg 45)

4.  Micranthemum micranthemoides var. Pearlgrass? ...... 2-small, elongated
leaves/node. http://floridadriftwood.com/amanopearlgrass.jpg

Where we still disagree, is on Hemianthus micranthemoides and Micranthemum
micranthemoides.   I think they are the same plant.  I've yet to see two
distinct 3-4 leaf node plants of this sort that merit their own scientific
names.

Eliminate Green Water and Hair Algae:
http://www.floridadriftwood.com/alfloraapm.html