RE: tank sizes

> From: "Roger S. Miller"
> It seems very difficult to put
> together a cohesive aquascape in that size tank.  The aquascapes often
> (as Karen Randall commented a couple times) "lack focus".
>
> Those of you who have 6-footers, do you think that's a problem, or was
> that just my odd sense of things?

After reading some of the other replies, I thought I'd throw out my "top 3"
6 footer problems.

I'd second the opinion that people lack focus, tanks do not:) I have been
working on my "focus" for the last year or two by slowly deleting species,
but it is really hard to shift from plant collector to tank decorator. I
don't have any aspirations of creating "perfectly arranged scenes", I'm
shooting more for "haven't moved them in years".

Since I can't blame the tank, I'll say that one is my fault:)

The #2 issue for me is access. I can't reach over 33% of my tank without
tongs, let alone plant there.

#3 is probably light penetration. I thought I was setting out to do a high
light, high growth rate tank. It turns out that I am not willing to put up
with stem plant maintenance and have a high light tank for about 16" and
then it is a low light tank:) I didn't think crypts would end up being the
lawn but I guess I'll wait. They may finally finish the job in another year.

I think all the other issues are fixable. Actually, when my last 225 gallon
tank blew out years ago (I think it was 1995), I ordered a 190 gallon to
replace it. It was 6" shorter in height and would have worked out much
differently. Unfortunately, I had the tank overnighted here and chose not to
wait another day for them to correct the problem since I had 30 gallon
garbage cans full of fish, plants, bio balls, etc, all over the house.

If I could to change any fixed aspect of my tank now, it would be water
depth. *Unless* I could get another 225 like my last one. It had no center
support and was much better to work in.

Jon Wilson
http://www.knology.net/~jwilson/plants.htm