Fluorite and Corys

Yes, I think it's a potential problem, but not a major problem. I have a
planted tank with a fluorite substrate and a large school of various
Corydoras spp. I find that small spp. (such as the pygmy Corys you mention)
with delicate barbels do experience some degree of barbel erosion. Larger
Cory spp. (most Corys) seem to do fine.

A smoother substrate would be preferable if you were motivated to keep your
Cories in peak condition. Many catfish, Corys included, like to sift through
the substrate by ingesting a portion of it, extracting the microfauna inside
and then spitting out the remaining substrate. For Corys, this isn't
practical with anything except sand.

I was thinking of trying the black Onyx sand in future tanks with plants and
substrate sifting catfish.

(While abrasion by the substrate is one cause of barbel erosion in Corys,
unclean water and the resulting buildups of pathogens is a more common
reason. )

Dinyar