Re: Plant tool kits

>Does anyone out there have any feeback about usefulness of those plant tool
>kits that a number of vendors sell? ....
> Any thoughts on which ones are good?

I bought a set from Monster Marine's website - steel long handled scissors, a
triangular leveler, and long tweezers, as well as some long plastic tweezers
that incorporated a cutter - the last is not worth bothering with, IMHO - its
hard to get the cutter and the tweezer part coordinated in a heavily planted
tank, and it bends too much.  I never use the leveler, was intrigued by all
the uses Tom Barr found for it, but my tanks are tiny, and I haven't needed to
do major cutting of sods or chopping runners yet!

I use the metal tweezers almost daily, great for getting floating dead leaves
etc; I also just grab and pull at leaves of hygro etc that are looking ratty,
they come off ok.  I use the scissors to trim off old leaves, but would prefer
some that are a bit more robust - they find it tough to get through an Anubia
stem or crinium leaf at the bottom of the tank.

My favourite tool is a pair of long chopsticks, that came with a wok purchase
- I use them singly to reposition plant leaves or floating plants, as a
planting stick, and as a stirring device, to mix in chemicals or to get fish
food out of java fern.  Having two is useful, you always seem to put one down
somewhere....

Kind regards,

Susi Barber
Vancouver