RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #715

Dgrim62 at cs_com wrote:

> Hey everyone,
> The 20# CO2 tank that services my 125 gallon aquarium is about to go
empty. I
> am going to let it go all the way down to empty and see if there are any
> issues with the regulator/needle valve, etc.

Forgive me for being pedantic, but...

You should probably NOT let the tank go completely empty. When a tank
reaches atmospheric pressure air may actually flow back into the tank due to
fluctuations in barometric pressure.  This can allow moisture to enter the
tank, which can cause corrosion. Advanced corrosion of the tank from the
inside can lead to tank failure - in other words: BOOM!

You should always leave any type of tank with some positive pressure to
prevent this from happening.

Best,

Michael Clark
mdc at ivc_com