Re: How does one vacuum.

I don't vacuum the substrate per se, as in sticking a tube into the gravel.
What I have is a 3-4 ft length of 3/8 inch ID vinyl tubing, which is then
slipped over the end of a 2 foot length of rigid PEX tubing (same ID-Home
Depot type item). I use the PEX piece in the tank to spot vacuum the surface
of mulm, and any accumulated debris. This will pull most stuff out. Do this
in conjunction with a water change, or siphon thru a brine shrimp net to
separate the debris and pour the water back into the tank.
Dave