Re: Apisto Spawn

Slvia writes:

> Thanks Bob, I should have been more specific. Some softwater fish will
spawn
>  no matter what, or as long as the water is even moderately hard. This may
> not
>  be the case with some apistos though. Would you keep a planted tank at
60-80

>  ppm hardness. If so, would you still run co2?

Now there's the balancing act, isn't it.  I don't use CO2, because I'm just
not that motivated for the plants' sake.  The plants are in there for the
fish.  IF you keep GH VERY low, like under 1, then you can push KH up a
little.  Or better, keep GH and KH at arond 2 and use a hydroxide like NaOH
rather than a carbonate to raise pH, and then use the CO2 to bring the pH
back down to the 6.0-6.5 range for the fish.  You need to be careful with
NaOH because it is very reactive when being wetted.  Mix it with the water
first.  Some "ice melters" are NaOH.  I'm sure it can also be found AS NaOH
on the web somewhere or at a local chemical supply house.

Bob Dixon
Cichlid Trader List Administrator        o
http://cichlidtrader.listbot.com               0