laterite/flourite - water column

Do laterite or flourite contribute any / significant nutrients to the
water column?  While recently planting a new tank that has laterite
(Substrate Gold) it occurred to me that the Substrate Gold is not
accessible to plants until the roots reach the depth that the addititive
is mixed in.  If this is the case then it seems that a flourite or even
turface substrate would have the advantage in a new setup.  I saw a
reference that implied that nutrients from the substrate needed to
become soluble before the plant could use them.  I would have thought
the plant was drawing these nutients from the substrate material itself
or from nutrients that are bound to the substrate and not readily
available to the water column.

Thanks,
Jay Reeves