Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #693

Roger,

Your argument sounds very reasonable. Nitric acid is also HNO3, not NO3 as I
originally said.  I am pretty well convinced that nitrogen is an important
component of fertilizer, but you're right that it is unlikely that they
would make a fertilizer that lowers the pH (180 degree turnaround).
However, a number of years ago I was told that a particular liquid
fertilizer would lower the pH.

I still believe in the school of thought that small water changes instead of
adding chemicals are better.  I'm in favor of laterite in the substrate with
a UGH for plants requiring more iron than is present in the water supply,
but I have never used any fertilizer or other additives, except for a small
fish population and fish food.  I've seen remarkably fast growth at times,
enough to completely fill up the tank in a month, and very poor growth if
any at all at other times.  I think that pH, possibly temperature (too
high), and possibly some other environmental factor account for these
differences.

Thanks for correcting my mistake.

Steve