substrate color in "real" Dutch aquariums

I was just browsing thru the amazing collection of Dutch aquariums
pointed out by Stephane (thanks for the pointer !) when something
caught my eye: almost *all* aquariums depicted there have a white
or almost white substrate. This seems to be against the aquascaping
advice we usually see in books. Anyone has any idea or comment about
why this is so ? The white substrate seems so pervasive in there that
I wonder if that color gives the participant more points, or something
like that.

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD

P.S. the web address is http://www.nbat.nl, and not nabat as originally