Diseased Ottos

A week ago I purchased, from my LFS, a dozen Ottos, and three SAEs, to act
as algae eaters, in my new 55gal freshwater Planted Tank.

A day later, I noticed that one of the Ottos had a white growth, on the side
of his head. I called the manager of the store and he told me to bring him
back and he would be replaced.
Since then nine of them have died. The SAEs seem to be healthy.

What, if anything, can I expect from the LFS.  I would like to add some
American Flags to combat the Hair Algae. Should I do something to combat the
Otto's disease before I introduce more fish?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers
Bill Westbrook
Ottawa