Re: To laterite or to not laterite ...

>Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:08:15 -0000
>From: "David" <firemouth at softhome_net>
>Subject: To laterite or to not laterite ...
>
>Im in the process of setting up a new tank. And i want to know what's you
>opinion about a tank with only with flourite against a tank with fluorite
>and
>laterite ?
>
>Is there a big noticeable difference ?
>
>Im wanting to make some terraces and some underground caves for my cichlids
>and
>putting up laterite kinda draws some limits on what i want to do.
>
>Thanks in advance.

David,
     I'm far from an expert on this, but I'll try to help nevertheless. I'm
in the process of setting up a tank and came across the same question as
you, except I just wanted to know which would be more effective or if both
would be best. I found out that having *both* would be kind of an overkill
as I(and I imagine you) will be adding some kind of fertilizer as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe both have sufficient iron and trace
mineral content that the plants can use, so using both won't necessarily be
bad, but maybe jut a waste of money. I decided to use laterite mixed with
semi-fine(but sterile) sand. You might be better off with fluorite though
for what you want to do. Anyone else? Good luck.
Ryan