Re: rotala magenta

"F. Tadeo" <elboyblue at hotmail_com> wrote:

> i just bought a bunch of plants my lfs called rotala magenta.  i've never
> heard of it but it looks like a large rotala indica with pink/magenta
> leaves.  is this in fact a rotala or is it some other species like an
> alternathera or something?  thanks for any help!  i'd also like to thank
> everyone who gave me suggestions on what to feed my ottos!
>
> - -frank

A few weeks ago I bought a bunch of "rotala magenta" at the LFS. I thought
at the time it was just a renamed rotala macranda. Then I read Karen Randal's
article on the last issue of PAM, where she states that rotala magenta is
a hybrid, and that it does not look as good as macranda does. After my bunch
grew, I have to agree with her. It looks now like a dark version of my rotala
rotundifolia. however with too small and scant leaves. Color is a mix of
green, bronze and brown; no reds at all. Maybe it is just the conditions in
my tank. So in the end, I still want to try the "true" macranda. Did not like
this hybrid at all.

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD