Re: Chelated trace mix / "K2O"

> From: Arthit Prasartkul <arthitp at ksc_th.com>
> Subject: Chelated trace mix for PMDD, is this fine?
>
> I went to a garden store in Bangkok today to find its ingredients. I  came
> back with one (for terrestrial plants) that has Mg 2.4% Mn 1.5% Fe 1.5% Cu
> 0.5% Zn 0.5% Co 0.03% B 0.3% Mo 0.03%. Would this ingredients work as a
> souce of chelated trace mix in PMDD.

The ratio of iron to other trace minerals is lower than that found in
plant tissue however I don't believe that the ratios are that critical.
Just be careful not to overdose and aim for an iron concentration of
about 0.1 ppm and it should be fine. The chelating agent mitigates
toxicity (decreases the effects of metal ion toxicity).

You can also use a little clay in the substrate to provide Fe to the
plant roots; a small amount of peat or soil mixed into the substrate
will also increase Fe solubility/availability. I don't find it necessary
to add chelated trace nutrients using this approach. The advantage of
adding soluble trace nutrients is that you can better optimize the
growth conditions provided that you adequately supply other nutrient and
lighting requirements. On the other hand, for hobby aquarium use, high
growth rates are seldom desirable; too much maintenance!

I like to try to stimulate slow growing plants like Crypts and Anubias
and for this, I use clay fertilizer balls which can be targeted for
specific plants. If you use these, you won't need to add soluble
nitrogen to the water. Fish and fish food do provide nitrogen to plants
too.
--
Steve Pushak                              Vancouver, BC, CANADA

Visit "Steve's Aquatic Page"      http://home.infinet.net/teban/